So this is what the Sovereign Lord says:
“See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who relies on it will never be stricken with panic.” Isaiah 28: 16 (NIV)
God speaks through Isaiah, a prophet who lived seven hundred years before Jesus was born, and prophecies how Jesus will be the foundation of the Kingdom of God.
Where do I see it?
God says, He will lay a stone in Zion—
- But when the set time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under the law...Galatians 4:4 (NIV)
- Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures: “‘The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes’?” Matthew 21: 42 (NIV)
- “The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.” John 10: 17-18 (NIV)
Jesus is a tested Stone—
- Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. Matthew 4:1 (NIV)
- Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.” Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.” Matthew 26: 38-39 (NIV)
- For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Hebrews 4: 15 (NIV)
Jesus is a precious Stone—
- And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:17 (NIV)
- While he was still speaking, a bright cloud covered them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!” Matthew 17:5 (NIV)
The second half of the verse in Isaiah states, the one who relies on it (Jesus), will never be stricken with panic—or shaken (Berean Bible Translation).
Relying on Jesus is the key to peace and contentment in every circumstance. Today, while the threat of Covid presses in, the powers of the world are unstable, fear and anxiety seems to rule hearts—embrace Jesus Christ. He is loving and compassionate. He will in no way cast out those who come to him. (John 6:37)
Jesus is “‘the stone you builders rejected, which has become the cornerstone.’ Acts 4:11 (NIV)